Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe
As comfort foods go Mac & Cheese is right up there and is great served by itself or as a side dish with a tender steak. This Baked Macaroni cheese casserole recipe has been refined over many attempts and I'm pretty happy with it.
Yield: 8 Serves
- 2 cups of macaroni , you can substitute Penne or another favorite pasta if you like.
- 1 onion diced.
- 3 rashers of bacon.
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic.
- 6 tablespoons of butter.
- 1 free range egg
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 300g grated cheddar.
- 2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat Oven to 350°F (180°C )
- Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water until it is almost al dente.
- Heat 3 tablespons of butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook the diced bacon, onion, and garlic until the onion is translucent but not browned.
- Add 1 cup of plain flour and mix into the onion mixture until the flour is a golden color.
- Add 1 cup of milk and stir until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of thick cream and 200g of cheese and stir until thickened
- Drain the pasta and combine it into the cheese sauce.
- Place pasta mix into a medium casserole dish.
- Melt remaining butter in a medium pan and combine with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
- Spread the breadcrumb mix over the pasta and bake in the pre-heated oven until golden brown.