By Glane23 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4882140
Hominy - Nixtamalized Corn
Hominy is dried corn which has been soaked in lye or lime in order to remove the hull from the kernel and to soften the kernel. Once prepared Hominy is used as a base ingredient in many mexican foods such as Masa which is in turn used to make other food ingrediants such as tortillas. The Nixtamilization process used to create hominy has the added benifit of making corn more nutritious.
Yield: 2.2lb or 1kg
- 1.5 lb of dried corn.
- 2 Tablespoons of food grade lime.
- 2 quarts ( 2 litres ) of water.
- Wash the corn thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt and contaminants.
- Add the water and lime to a large corrosion proof dish and stir while heating to dissolve..
- Add the corn to the water and bring to the boil for 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to soak overnight.
- Remove the corn from the lime water and rinse the corn thoroughly by running it under cold water and rubbing it with your hands to ensure all hulls are removed.
- Drain the hominy and set aside for use in other recipes.