Easy Pumpkin Puree
A tasty pumpkin puree is the foundation of many delicious recipes and contrary to popular belief does not come out of a can. Many will tell you that puree out of a can is as good or better than the canned stuff but I would suggest that they have never tasted puree made from scratch or are have convinced themselves that it is true for the sake of convenience. Personally I am convinced that a pumpkin pie, pumpkin whoopie cookies, pumpkin bread and other foods made using pumpkin puree taste much better when the puree is made from scratch using fresh pumpkin.
Try it yourself using this recipe and let me know what you think.
Yield: 2lb or 1 kg of puree
- 1 4 - 6lb ( 2 - 2.5 kg ) Baking pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400°F ( 200°C).
- Cut pumpkin in half crosswise and scoop out seeds and stringy material.
- Sprinkle cut edges of the pumpkin with salt.
- Place pumpkin cut side down on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes until a knife is easily inserted into the flesh.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Scoop the roasted pumpkin out of the skin and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend the roasted pumpkin until it is smooth.
- Use straight away or freeze for future use.