Easy White Sandwich Bread
This is an easy white sandwich loaf recipe which works every time for me. This bread rises well and the result is a fluffy white loaf which is ideal for toasting or making your favourite sandwich. My guilty little secret is that this bread doesn't always get to cool completely before it gets eaten, we love to cut off a hot end crust and eat it smothered with butter.
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 large tablespoon of honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- 4 cups of bakers flour
- 1/3 cup of powdered milk
- Add the ingredients to a bowl in the order listed above then mix and knead until it forms an elastic, bouncy dough.
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and allow it to rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- Punch down the dough and form it into a 9" log.
- Place the dough into a 9" bread pan and allow to rise for another hour
- Pre-Heat the oven to 350°F or 180°C
- Bake for 40 minutes , tenting with aluminium foil after the first 20 minutes.
- Once cooked Turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool
Hint: I use the stainless steel mixer bowl on my Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine to mix the ingredients and if it is cold to touch I warm the bowl with warm water before I start.